Pages

Sunday 5 May 2013

Rival Sons, Ulysses and The Gravel Tones


Rival Sons
53 Degrees Preston
April 15th 2013

The Gravel Tones are a two piece band from Brisbane Australia comprising of Jimmy and Mikey, who despite being small in number are big in volume and enthusiasm.

Their songs are high in energy and singer Jimmy has a very unique and strong voice. Consisting of guitar, drums and vocals, and their music has a unique sound and energy.  Add that to the most enthusiastic drummer I have ever seen and you have a set that wizzes by in the blink of an eye.

I had never heard of The Gravel Tones until tonight but I would definitely go and see them again without hesitation.

Second support, Ulysses are a band that would not have looked out of place in the 70's.  Both their style and sound reflects that era. Originating from Bath, the five piece have a good energy and sound, although I have to be honest and say that I didn't enjoy them as much as The Gravel Tones.

Now what can I say about Rival Sons?  Absolutely amazing!  Even though lead singer Jay was clearly unwell, he had an awesome voice with enough power to literally knock your socks off!

Originating from Long Beach California, Rival Sons have been together 2008, and are regularly played on UK rock radio station Planet Rock.  Like Ulysses  they have a 70's vibe to their image and a rock/blues sound, even though Jay doesn't look old enough to remember any of the 70's.

During their performance that ran well over curfew they sang songs such as 'Wild Animal', 'Until the Sun Comes' and 'Manifest Destiny (Pt 1)'.

I have to admit that in the many years I have been going to concerts, tonight is the first time I have ever seen a lead singer drinking a cup of tea on stage rather than the usual whisky, water or beer.  (The tea was obviously an attempt to sooth his throat, which was huskier than usual but did not lack any power!)

Throw into the mix some awesome guitar and drum solos and you are provided with a nights entertainment that flew by far too quickly.

I will be honest when I say that I only went to see Rival Sons because my husband wanted to go but I can say that I would not hesitate to go and see them again.  










No comments: