Pages

Saturday 19 April 2014

LostAlone, Verses and The First

LostAlone, Verses and The First
Sound Control, Manchester
April 14th, 2014

Tonight's show took me back to Sound Control in Manchester to see three bands that I have previously reviewed but as tonight's show was so good I thought I would give them a little more blog space.

First up were The First, who I originally encountered at Hey Hey Hey in Nottingham's Rock City last October.  These guys really impressed me that night and tonight it is safe to say that they were even better.

The First played tracks from both of their albums 'Swimming with Sharks' and 'Take Courage' and gave the audience an amazing start to the evening.  Their set included 'William', 'Shark Attack', 'There's No Place Like Home' and my personal favourite 'Kicks'.

These guys played a blinding set with enough energy and catchy guitar hooks to lift the spirits of even the most deflated soul.  These guys are a must see band for me and I can't wait for the next time I get to see them.



Next up were Verses from Brighton.  These are another band that never fail to impress me although I don't follow them as much as I should.  Verses played a fantastic upbeat and energetic set, picking up the lead from The First and paving the way for LostAlone.



Headliners LostAlone were on top form tonight!  We have followed these guys for a couple of years now, so when they announced a headline tour to promote their new album, 'Shapes Of Screams' it was a no brainer.
Starting with 'The Bells The Bells' they played a good mix of songs including 'Crusaders', 'Hostages', 'Scarlet Letter Rhymes' and 'G.U.I.L.T.Y.' from the new album and 'Creatures', 'Vesuvius', 'Do You Get What You Pray For' and (my favourite) 'Paradox On Earth' from previous albums.

Mid way through the set Steven announced that the next song would be 'Put Pain To Paper' and launched into playing when Alan subtly reminded him that the song wasn't on the set list......  but in true LostAlone style they played it anyway! 


I have seen LostAlone do some things that most bands never do, like when Steven sat in the middle of the crowd last year and played 'Orchestra Of Breathing' completely solo, and tonight was no different.  Steven spent most of the first song playing his guitar in the pit surrounded by fans and then during 'Love Will Eat You Alive' he had about 5 members of the audience up on stage to sing with him and the band.  LostAlone really are a band that seem to thrive on their fans interaction!

Finishing the show with 'Dooomageddon' LostAlone left us wondering how the time had gone so quickly.  



Tonight's show was honestly one of my favourite shows of the year so far! 





No comments: