Pages

Monday 24 February 2014

Matt Pryor, Allison Weiss and Lacey

Matt Pryor, Allison Weiss and Lacey
The Bodega, Nottingham
February 16th, 2014


Tonight I found myself back in Nottingham and back to the first venue I ever visited in the city to catch up with that very same band that I saw on my first trip here.

Tonight is billed as a full band acoustic set by the Lacey boys but when I got there I was a little shocked to discover that they had a full drum set and electric guitars. 


Although tonight's set was a mellowed and slower set by the Lacey boys it was not a full acoustic set, however the Lacey boys didn't disappoint and played a short but flawless set including crowd favourite 'Lights Out' and their latest single 'Hometown', which they have recently recorded a video for and can be found on YouTube at http://youtu.be/FfKNYp7-miQ (or click the video clip at the bottom of the review)


After hearing the full acoustic versions of 'Burning Out' and 'Let It Go' on 'Beat on the Beeb' (BBC Radio Nottingham) just before Christmas I was really looking forward to hearing them play this way live so I have to admit that I was a little disappointed.  

I was also disappointed as I thought that the five song set was far too short! 

I guess I will just have to wait a little longer to hear them play a full acoustic show. 


Next up was Allison Weiss and although she was good, she didn't set my world alight! She had a very good voice and played well but it just didn't do it for me.  I found her songs very melancholy and she just didn't excite me or grab my attention in the way that some other artists have.

Headlining tonight was Matt Pryor of the Get Up Kids.  I have heard people raving about The Get Up Kids and after hearing so many good things I was really looking forward to hearing him, as he was someone I had not experienced before. 

Again I found myself slightly disappointed because although he was good and had a lovely voice, he failed to spark my interest and although I tried to work out what the all the fuss was about I just didn't see it. 

Maybe I was having an off day but I will be honest and admit that had it not been for Lacey I would have walked away quite disappointed.






No comments: